First meeting of “Gentlemen who had agreed to form an Association for the promotion of social intercourse, art and literature” held August 8th. The “Trumbull House” at 53 Prospect Street leased for the Clubhouse and Club opens for business with 60 Members.
Connecticut General Assembly approves the incorporation of The Hartford Club.
Incandescent electric lights installed in the Clubhouse.
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) accepted as a Member. Club has 78 Members including Cadwell Colt of Colt Firearms and Richard L. Gattling, inventor of the Gattling Gun.
Club moves to the Wadsworth Mansion at the corner of Prospect and Atheneum Streets. $10,000 spent to refurbish the new Clubhouse.
Members hold party for visiting entertainer Buffalo “Wild” Bill Cody.
Club has 179 Members and merges with nearby Colonial Club, adding an additional 240 Members. Club authorizes purchase of land, architectural design and expenditures for a new Clubhouse at 46 Prospect Street — cost estimate $200,000.
New Clubhouse opens and 400 Members attend opening ceremonies.
Board votes to build an addition to include a ballroom with a stage and 30-foot ceilings, bowling alleys, squash courts, locker room and showers.
New Ballroom completed and dedicated at a gala attended by 435 Members served by 70 waiters.
Kitchen fire prompts employees to carry out valuable paintings while Members playing billiards resist evacuation. $130,000 worth of damage is incurred to the first floor lounge, second floor dining rooms, and third floor bedrooms.
132 Members resign due to the Great Depression.
Former President Herbert Hoover addresses Board meeting. Dinner included Oysters, Filet Mignon and Lobster for $1.50.
First time a woman is allowed to lunch in the Main Dining Room.
Travelers Company acquires back property of the Club for 2 million dollars; oversees million dollar renovation of Clubhouse.
Laura Johnson becomes first full-fledged woman Member.
Margaret Lawson becomes first woman President of the Club.
Club celebrates 125th anniversary with over 1300 Members.
Richard Weaver-Bey becomes the first African-American President of the Club.
Severe Winter weather damage closes the club for several months; the possible sale of the clubhouse to the Wadsworth Atheneum is voted down by the members; and the newly decorated and refurbished Hartford Club holds a Gala re-opening in June. Club undergoes million dollar renovation after severe storm damage.
Club incorporates ongoing capital fund. Completes major renovation to HVAC and builds one of a kind cigar lounge and member billiards room on second floor.
Club strengthens membership through development of 1873 Group LLC. With the help of Board Members, President Brien Beakey rebuilt the club personnel, reaffirming the member experience through dining and services.